Groceries, Routine and zzz...

I really need to get to bed earlier than midnight or later on "school" nights. It's easier said than done though when there never seems to be enough time in the day and I am SO not a morning person so going to bed early and waking up earlier isn't really an option to me, especially since then I would be even more tired despite getting around the same amount of sleep.

I'll get there, and since it's not my focus right now I'm not going to go out of my way to stay up late, but I'm not going to bed before I get some things done either.

My routine on grocery night (which is what I try and do the same day of the week each week so I'm not buying too much or to little):

-I get off work at 5
-I get done grocery shopping around 6-ish
-I get home by around 6:30
-7 the groceries are unloaded, put away and we eat dinner (Since dinner will be later in the evening if I don't, dinner on grocery nights is usually something pre-made from the grocery store or fast food picked up on the way home)
-Then I usually waste an hour waiting on my husband to get done with his phone calls, shower, and Facebook surfing because if I go to do something he's suddenly ready to watch something on TV with me, but he's got to finish one of the above first and I end up waiting anyway.

So tonight I watched some Anime "music videos" with my oldest daughter until he needed a ride to the neighbor's to pick up our borrowed truck since his car blew a tire on the way home.

-8-ish we watched a couple episodes of Gundam: 08th MS Team.

-9 get my youngest daughter put to bed

-9:30 go out in my craft room to work on my goals (reading, art etc)

-10:30 finish checking my e-mail and post on my blog

-11 play a little bit of a Hidden Pictures game that I'm trying to finish the seasonal goals before they expire

-11:30 get things ready for the next day and go in and go to bed which is usually around 12.

I could cut out the reading, art and game but those are my "me" time things that I enjoy doing and if I don't do at least something I enjoy on my own I start to get cranky and easily irritable.

Some days I'm able to get a few things in during the "waiting period", but even when he's busy out in the garage, I never know when he's going to be done so it becomes a good excuse to just do nothing, surf on Facebook myself etc.

Luckily grocery night is once a week and I get home about an hour earlier the rest of the week, but that turns into make dinner time so I guess the rest of the evening essentially goes the same.

I guess that just re-enforces the baby steps. I can't cram all of my household responsibilities and goals into a few hours at night and expect to get anywhere with it (nor cramming it all into one weekend for that matter), but if I gradually add things in and then maintain them (which takes less time than the initial change) then eventually I'll be able to get more done in the the time I have.

If I do it any other way no one will want to be around me because I'll be in dragon mode. I'll burn myself out, perfectionism will make me feel like a failure and I'll just drop it all and be angry about it.

So another goal... get more things done, but not at the expense of risking dragon mode. :)

Comments

Popular Posts