Day by Day and Audiobooks

I may have had a dip in motivation, but taking this one day at a time and having a "self help" book as my reading goal for the week is helping me keep going too. Baby steps day by day doesn't hurt either.

Until last year I wasn't a huge fan of audio books. Aside from the old read-along books that came with cassette tapes or records the only adult audio book I'd ever listened to was an abridged version of a Star Wars book. Granted, it was worth listening to, but the abridged part was what really turned me off of them.

I got interested in them again when a co-worker told me she listened to audio books while she did her most monotonous tasks that required little concentration. This peaked my interest so I looked into it and discovered Audible and their library of un-abridged audio books.

Listening to them at work really doesn't work for me because I find them too distracting unless I'm doing something very monotonous, which doesn't happen too often. I either completely tune out what I'm listening to or I find myself stopping to concentrate on the book instead of work. The first one is better because, after all, I'm there to work, not listen to books.

So I usually just listen to them at home (or occasionally in the car via Bluetooth) and I'll get in some multi-tasking as long as I'm not distracted by the task or the book.

Fiction I can usually get away with listening to and not missing things or feel like the book would have been a better experience if I'd read it instead. Self-help books on the other hand, I feel like it's a nice way to get in the whole book in a sitting or two, but I feel like I want to go back and read it to get the most out of it.

So today, while I listened to The C.H.A.O.S. Cure by Marla Cilley and felt like I got the motivational recharge I was looking for, I also want to revisit the book at a slower pace by reading it also. We'll see how reading the electronic version goes.

And of course there's the implementation part as well. Reading the book might be motivating but if I can't apply any of the advice they aren't as helpful. And that part is totally up to me. It's not like you can hire the author to come organize your home.

I really don't think I'd want to hire an organizer to come organize my home though... One, I'm sure it's crazy expensive. Two, who wants a stranger going though or seeing all of their stuff. Three, I'm a pack rat and indecisive (not to mention stubborn) so having a stranger tell me I have to get rid of things (even if I get to pick what they are) would be and unpleasant experience for me.

I'd rather do it in steps and gradually make the decision on my own of what needs to go. This is a process I have started and I've mede headway, but I'd like to make more progress this year and I think some of the concepts in The C.H.A.O.S. Cure will help me with that.


Comments

Popular Posts