On the Road to Finishing Something I Started

In April of 2005 I lost one of my older sisters. Around the same time, I was in the middle of my third writing course in Writing for Children and Teenagers. 

I couldn't think of anything I wanted to write about so I finished the assignment I was currently on and kept putting off my next one. I extended the assignment due date so many times that I eventually decided to quit the course.

For me, this was huge. I love to learn. I love to write and I never thought I would ever not finish a course of any kind.  It's the only one I have.

Last year, I was sent an e-mail. An opportunity to pick up where I left off in the course and I was tempted, but I put it off until the deadline had passed. (Me? Put something off? Never! 😶) They sent the invitation again this year and I was determined that it was time.

So, a little over a month ago I re-started my writing course and I'm almost two assignments down with three to go. I've always regretted giving up on the course and I haven't finished a manuscript since.

I tried NaNoWriMo a few times and enjoyed it, but I haven't made it to the end yet. I let myself get distracted and procrastinate until it gets put off indefinitely. It's a good thing I manage my procrastination pretty well at work or I'd really be in trouble.

I'm hoping that finishing my writing course will be a kick start. I still haven't found my perfect niche for writing and my stories aren't the page turners I want them to be, but I still love to write. I've been writing off and on since I was 10, if not earlier. I just have to find my passion and go with it.

Now that we are in the age of self publishing I have considered going that route, however I don't want to publish something sub-par just to get my work out there. Chances are no one would read it or it would be far from successful.

I've read several self published e-books and while some of them are really good, a few of them are very amateur. The story potential is there, but I have a hard time getting into them. Sadly, I've also read a couple of books that were done through publishers that I wonder how they got to print. I don't want to be that author.

So at this point, I'll finish my course and go from there. I have a few manuscripts in the works that have been waiting years to be completed and/or polished. The ideas are there, but incomplete. I think baby steps apply here as well.

As for my weekly goals I'm now on day seven of tracking what I eat and when I go to bed and get up. Time to add something new tomorrow and continue with my current goal.

Comments

Popular Posts