Last Day of 2018 - Reflections

As 2018 draws to a close I look back on the past year and consider it's ups and downs. On one hand, I did a lot of reading and even expanded on some of my usual genre. I drew more, painted more and worked on some projects that have been on the back burner for years.

On the other hand, I didn't even start some of the projects that I'd wanted to work on. I didn't keep up with the housework as much as I should have and didn't go out of my way to cook any new recipes. We didn't stay consistent with Family night and I spent a lot of time playing games that were essentially just time killers, despite the fact that I have several that I want to try and finish.

I spent a lot of alone time in my craft room out in the garage, but I didn't really do anything productive for the majority of that time. Sometimes I just sat and thought about random things and avoided doing things that I knew needed done.

I didn't plant a garden, though considering we had such a huge set of hail storms that made it look like it snowed in July, that is probably a good thing.

I lost enough weight that I could say it had been seven years since I'd seen it, but then I gained it all back by the end of the year. So I'm staring 2019 back on square one.

I wrote more in my journal that I have in a while, but nothing like I used to. I restarted my writing course. (Which reminds me, I have an assignment to turn in tomorrow 😖)

I started my bullet journal prep for 2019 early and have everything ready for January, though I'm not 100% happy with how it turned out.

I spent more time with my children, and even though I didn't do as much as I would like I am happy with the time we got to spend together. I can hardly believe that they are nine and thirteen now! Time is slipping away so fast and I know the next five to nine years are going to go just as fast if not faster.

I have really enjoyed our pets this year: two cats, a German Shepherd, fish and a guinea pig. Though sadly we don't have much time left with our guinea pig because she's been diagnosed with cancer and pets of her size don't respond well to treatment.

I got some organizing projects done, but not as many as I wanted to. I also managed to work on my goal of using up some of the excess products we have i.e. lotion, hand soap, shampoo etc. I got some little plastic cups for individual servings of a heath plan and filled them up, but didn't even use up the ones I filled.

All in all, there were some successes, some beginnings and some failures. There won't ever be a perfect year, and a failure isn't the end. Failure is an opportunity to pick up where I left off and try again, try something new and different and find something that works for me.

2019 might not be a magic portal, but I see potential in it already. I've already started on my goals and so far I'm reaching them. I just have to build on my foundation, remember that perfection is impossible and failure isn't permanent. Take baby steps. Don't try to cram in all my goals at once and don't give up. (I guess you could say that this will be my mantra for 2019.)

Tomorrow is a New Year, even if it won't feel any different when I wake up in the morning. Even if I'm tired and it doesn't go as planned. I might waste the whole day, or I might start the year off with a bang!

However it turns out, it's one day out of 365 and I need to remember to take them one by one.

Comments

Popular Posts