Goals and Baby Steps

Goals are not something I have a problem with. Making them. I have no problem making them. As a matter of fact, I can spend hours making lists and setting up my planner with my goals for the year, month, week and day.

After all, there is never quite the perfect planner, bullet journal or list that doesn't make me cringe at how cluttered or gaudy it looks because nothing ever fits or turns out just the way I want it to. Stickers, stamps and stencils be darned!!! And don't get me started on the ghosting 😖

Goal execution on the other hand? Um... what's that?! Squirrel!!!!!

With that in mind, I'm trying a new approach. It's not that I don't plan on using my lists and planner, after all they are already set up for the new year. I still think they can be good tools, and why stop something I enjoy doing?

It's more that I plan on streamlining it and taking baby steps (a concept taken from Body Clutter as mentioned in my last post), instead of trying to cram in everything I ever wanted to do into my plans. Now I just have to talk myself out of starting over on my planners and lists to reflect that or I'll never get anything else done and heaven knows that can get expensive!

Still, if I list everything then I just have to pick and choose what I feel like doing. That works better for creative people anyway. 😵 That's what I tell myself anyway. The problem is, I have too many things to choose from and I want to do them all equally. Okay, so I want to accomplish them all equally, not everything on my list is fun!

While I have all my ultimate goals planned out, I've got to avoid the pit fall of trying to get on board with all of them at once. The trick will be to pick up a new one without loosing sight of the previous one and not giving up all together. This round anyway.

Did I mention that I like to procrastinate?

This week's baby steps: track what I eat and track my sleep.

I have found a new (to me) weight management feature on an app I use called Samsung Health. I can track sleep, food, the amount of water and caffeine I drink and steps if I keep my phone in my pocket all day (Good luck with that one! Why oh why do designers think women's dress pants don't need to include pockets?!) then all my key daily goals can be tracked in one place.

I've used the app previously, and never stopped using the steps feature, but this week I've started tracking what I eat and when I go to bed and get up. Since the weight management lets you set your calorie and activity goals for the day, and foods are searchable with nutrition values already set, there is no manual calculations involved. Sweet!! The less work it takes the better or I won't stick with it.

So far I'm on day six. The trick is to keep it up over the weekend and next week. I'll usually stick with something for about a week and then the weekend comes and it's out the window. Goals? What goals? What app? I was supposed to take my pills this morning? Oops!

The thing is, I've got to start now. For me, New Year's resolutions are another excuse to procrastinate and I set myself up for failure by thinking I'm going to be this crazy person that gets all her goals done.

Will I struggle to not put it off? One day can't hurt right?! Absolutely.

Will I feel like I'm not doing enough and have to battle the perfection monster to keep from both trying to do it all or looking at the list and feeling like there is no reason to start unless I can finish it? Absolutely.

There is no magic portal.

Baby steps.


Comments

Popular Posts