Where did the Summer Go?

Obviously I haven't been keeping up with my blog this summer! Things have been up and down, but really that's about typical, especially for me.

We had something going on every weekend for the first five weeks of summer, we had friends stay with us for almost a month in August, well stay in our camper and theirs on our property. My youngest daughter and her friend practically lived at each other's houses for at least a month almost straight and I am now on my second cold of the season. 😷

Being busy the first part of the summer put me majorly behind on keeping up with my garden so I spent the rest of the season trying to combat the ridiculous amount of weeds and lost. Though on a positive note I was able to make two batches of vegetable noodle soup with pretty much all the vegetables coming from my garden: peas, onions, turnips, and carrots, parsley, sage and basil.

I'm hoping I can find the same type of cherry tomato plant next year because I've never had such a successful tomato plant, it was awesome.

Even some of my marigolds finally decided to come up and bloom, and my dill plant grew really well, but I'm not sure what to do with it other than let it dry and save it for something since I didn't get any cucumbers.

Unfortunately I only got a couple of peppers and one small lemon cucumber and a few strawberries from my other plants. My regular cucumbers and zucchini bloomed but never bore fruit before the first frost brought their demise.

Our Guinea pig also passed away while we were gone for a wedding one weekend in June. 😢 She had seemed to be doing much better and outlived the vet's prediction by almost seven months, but I guess it was just her time.

I did manage to get a little of my organizing done in August. I went though my pantry and Lazy-Susan and cleaned them out and organized them complete with some new storage containers to keep the critters out and keep things fresh longer for items we don't use up fast enough. I even did a partial inventory of it all. Win!

Kirel went through and inventoried our freezers for me, though it's already out of date now since we didn't keep up with it, but it's a start and will help give me ideas for meals. I created an Access Database to keep track of everything and organized it by location and category so it should be quick and easy to see what I have and where it is.

I have kept up with the house a little better and have kept up with my e-mails. No 3,000 e-mail shuffle for me!

Too bad I can't say the same for my writing. I'm seriously behind in submitting my second to last writing assignment for my writing course. The sad thing is, the story is written and ready to go, it's the revision/new story idea that I can't make my mind up on so it's like my mind skirts around it because it doesn't want to deal with it.

My goal for today is to sit down and get it submitted though.

Part of the issue is that I easily let outside influences deter me from getting it done. I was going to do it a few weeks ago, but I ended up taking Kirel to the Chey-Fi Comic Expo instead and I have a thing with working on it while we have company, even if it's not MY company. And when I have time at night after everyone has gone to bed I have no energy to work on anything. It's really just an excuse to put it off.

I mentioned in my last post that friends would be boarding their horses on our property, and you'd think I'd be thrilled to have them here and go say hi to them every day, I know I thought I would be. Except for a few occasions I've really been avoiding them though.

 My husband was right when he said it was probably worse for me having them here knowing that because of them I wasn't able to get a horse of my own this summer. He really had intended to get me one and it wasn't some elaborate sabotage to placate me for longer by letting our friends keep their horses here. They were only supposed to bring two but adopted a third charity horse at the last minute.

That is going to change soon though. They are trying to sell the one ride-able horse now because our friend's wife has decided she and the horse's personalities clash so she doesn't want him anymore because he won't 'behave' for her. He seems to behave alright for other people so I'm assuming she is right. I wouldn't know, I haven't ridden him.

They will also be sending Max, the charity horse, on his way, though I don't know if they will be putting him down or finding another home for him. Poor boy is such a sweetheart but even my husband doesn't think he would last the winter. He is sadly underweight even after they've spent all summer trying to put some weight on him.

Almost as soon as I found out that two of them will be going away and it will mean we'll be able to get a horse I've been much more interested in interacting with them and visiting them. I guess because I don't know if I resented them or if it was simply that they were a reminder that I wouldn't be able to get a horse until they were gone.

I still might not be able to get a horse until next summer. We have to find one, get hay, and I won't be able to ride much with the weather getting colder, but it isn't up in the air as much. There hadn't been any discussion on how long our friends planned on keeping their horses here so to me it could have been another year... another three years... who knows. It felt like it would never happen.

I'm sure it all sounds selfish and petty but we can't pick how we feel about things. We can bottle the feelings in and bury them and try and force them to change and they can alter when we learn more about something, but we really can't help our honest feelings.

As summer comes to a close and Fall blows in at full force I look forward to the winter projects that I have planned out. Some of them I've already started, others are just an idea on a page and I'm sure many of them won't get much farther than that because ambition is nice but needs to be accompanied by time and energy. I'll continue my year one step at a time because every step gets me closer to my goals. And a horse of my own haha!

Comments

Popular Posts